Monday, October 31, 2011
Is it love?
For my October monthly blog, I decided to choose a socratic seminar question from Wuthering Heights. We have not yet had a socratic seminar for Wuthering Heights, but I have read enough through the book to where I can answer question 9. which asks, "Do Edgar and Catherine love each other?" This question is one that I actually pondered on as I read in the book that Catherine decided to accept Edgar's marriage proposal. In my opinion, I do believe that Edgar really does love Catherine, because he is easily jealous of the relationship between Healthcliff and Catherine, and he proposed to Catherine in the first place, but I dont really think that Catherine loves Edgar. I think that Catherine is somewhat fond of him, but I think that she did not marry Edgar for love. Catherine admits to Nelly that she would be financially secure with Edgar, and he can give her the material possessions that she wants and she knows that Healthcliff cannot give her those things. As time goes on into their marriage, I think Catherine will grow more fond of Edgar, but it is apparent that she does not appreciate the jealousy that he has with the relationship between Catherine and Healthcliff. After really thinking about the questions "Is it love?", I found myself comparing the relationship between Edgar and Catherine to the relationship between Dominique Francon and Gail Wynand in The Fountainhead. Dominique agrees to marry Gail for reasons other than love, while she truly loves someone else, Howard Roark. And I believe that Catherine really loves Healthcliff, but is married to Edgar for other reasons. In the real world as well, people often do not marry for the purpose of love. Some people marry another person because they are wealthy, or they are forced to through an arranged marriage or any other kind of example. This is how this question can be related to life. Overall my opinion is that Catherine does not truly love Edgar, but is inseatd fond of him; and Edgar really does love Catherine because he feels jealousy towards Healthcliff due to their childhood relationship, and he did indeed ask Catherine to marry him, which I assume he did due to the love that he feels for her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good Kirsten! Great discussion of the literature. Next blog, don't forget to make a societal connection. :-)
ReplyDelete